Cone-Beam CT X-Rays
Cone Beam CT
Dental cone beam computed tomography (CT) is a special type of x-ray machine used in situations where regular dental or facial x-rays are not sufficient. This type of CT scanner uses a special type of technology to generate three dimensional (3-D) images of dental structures, soft tissues, nerve paths and bone in the craniofacial region in a single scan. Images obtained with cone beam CT allow for more precise treatment planning.
It is important to know that not all patients will need this type of x-ray. We will only use this x-ray to ensure to assist us with treatment or diagnosis.
At Terrace Oaks Dental, we use the Vatech Green CT which reduces patient’s exposure to radiation when compared to other Cone Beam CT and at the same time providing superior image quality.
Common uses and advantages of Cone Beam CT:
- Surgical planning for impacted teeth.
- Locating the origin of pain or pathology
- Diagnosing temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ)
- Accurate placement of dental implants. (See CT guided implant)
- Evaluation of the jaw, sinuses, nerve canals and nasal cavity
- Detecting, measuring and treating jaw tumors or any other pathology
- Determining bone structure and tooth orientation